For more information, use
the links below.
INNERview :: Contact Us :: Jack Martin, Ph.D.
Jack Martin, Ph.D.
1981 - Present
Involved in private practice in counseling for the past 25 years in Corpus Christi, Texas, Estes Park, Colorado, and Lufkin, Texas.
- Stress Management Training: Conducted various programs on managing stress in the workplace and the way that it effects job performance and productivity as well as health.
- Psycho immunology: Using the mind to facilitate wellness and recovery from disease.
- Individual and group consultation and therapy.
- Biofeedback Training: Specific interest in using biofeedback techniques to facilitate decision-making, concentration, and problem solving skills in both adults and children.
- Corporate Training and Development: Training of management staff in communication skills, team building, decision-making skills, and conflict management.
- Consultant with the Driscoll's Children's Hospital
- Corporate Seminars conducted for Corporations and Organizations including: Central Southwest, Inc., McDonalds, Merryl Lynch, Bill Miller's Barbecue, Inc., Continental Airlines, Pioneer Management Corp., Driscoll's Children's Hospital, The Texas State Dental Laboratory Annual Conference.
1976 - 1981 Deep East Texas Regional Mental Health & Retardation Center, 4101 S. Medford Drive, Lufkin, Texas 75901
Director of Mental Health Services
- Served as Director of the Mental Health Services.
- Responsible for the planning and supervision of Center Mental Health Programs, budgeting of Mental Health Programs, development and preparation of Federal Grants, and working with area judges and other elected representatives in the area.
- Center provided services to a thirteen county area encompassing some 43,000 square miles. Programs supervised included seven Outpatient Clinics, two hospital Inpatient Psychiatric Programs, Medication Clinics, and Mental Health Day treatment programs.
- During this time the Center Mental health Program was one of the first to meet federal Accreditation Standards and obtain the approval of the Joint Council on the Accreditation of Hospitals (JCAH). Fifty-nine staff positions were assigned to the mental health division during this time. Personnel included psychiatrists, psychologists, social workers, nurses, teachers, etc.
1975-1976 Sabine Valley Mental Health and Retardation Center, P.O. Box 1224, Marshall, Texas 75670
Director of Program Development
- Director of Program Development with responsibility for planning and supervision of new Center programs until fully operational. Responsibilities included:
- Coordination of program policies and procedures to meet JCAH standards.
- Development of regional mental health and retardation services for a six county area.
- Liaison activities with Commissioner's courts.
- Development and implementation of Program Evaluation Applications and administrative coordination of center programs with the Texas department of Mental Health and Retardation.
- Wrote a column for over two years in a local newspaper entitled "Mental Health and You."
- Participated in various radio programs concerning mental health issues.
- Served as an extension faculty member in the Graduate School of Psychology at East Texas State University at Texarkana, Texas. Courses taught on a graduate level included Abnormal Psychology and Developmental Psychology.
1973 -1975 Sabine Valley MHMR Center, P.O. Box 1224, Marshall, Texas 75670
- Served as Clinical Director of Center Programs in Harrison County.
- Responsible for clinical services provided through the Mental Health and Mental Retardation Programs.
- Programs Supervised included: Social Rehabilitation Programs, Medication Clinic Services, Outpatient Counseling Services, Child Development Center Services, Consultation Program with Physicians and other local agencies.
1972 - 1973 Delaware County Child Guidance Clinic, 711 Riverside Ave., Muncie, Indiana
- Served in the position of Psychiatric Social Worker.
- Conducted Individual, Group, and Family counseling and served as a Consultant to a program for children with learning disabilities.
- Maintained private practice in Marital Counseling and Group Psychotherapy.
- Designed a counseling program for Pregnant Teenage Girls within the school system.
1969 - 1970 Waco Methodist Children's Home, 111 Herring Ave., Waco, Texas
- Served in position of counselor responsible for the treatment of boys in a Psychiatric Unit for Emotionally disturbed children. Treatment approach included :
- Play therapy
- Group and Family Therapy
- Provided supervision to unit staff in the management of children.
- Doctor of Philosophy Degree (Ph.D.) June 1976
- Dissertation: The Effect of Perception on Communication and Conflict in Relationships.
- Master's Degree 1971
- Psychiatric social work. Served internship at Tulane Medical School working in conjunction with the departments of Child Psychiatry, Adult Psychiatry, and the Department of Hearing.
- Bachelor of Arts 1970
- Major: Sociology
- Minor: Psychology
LICENSES, PROFESSIONAL CERTIFICATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS
- American Academy of Pain Management ~ Certified Pain Practitioner
- Member of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine
- American Counseling Association
- Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback - Cerified in Neurotherapy
- Previous Member of the American Academy of Medical Hypnoanalysis
- Biofeedback Society of Texas
- Academy of Certified Social Workers ~ Clinical Member
- American Association of Marriage & Family Therapists - Certified as "Clinical Member"
- National Association of Social Workers
- American Association for Counseling and Development
- Past Member of the American Orthopsychiatric Association
- Biofeedback Certification Institute of America ~ Certified in Biofeedback
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) -Texas and Colorado
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) -Texas and Colorado
- Previous Member of the American Board of Medical Psychotherapists ~ Diplomate Designation
- Served as a committee member on the Task Force created by the Texas Department of Mental Health and Retardation to develop guidelines for the implementation of a "Peer Review" process for Community Mental Health and Mental Retardation Centers.
- Served as member of Texas Department of Mental Health and Retardation (TDMHMR) Center Evaluation Team whose role was to evaluate the effectiveness of Texas Community Mental Health Programs in relationship to departmental goals and JCAH standards.
- Past Board member of the Coastal Bend Youth City
- Served as member of the Board of Directors of Oak Haven Nursing Home in Marshall, Texas.
- Served as a member of the Board of Directors of the Harrison County Juvenile Detention Center in Marshall, Texas.
- Conducts Seminars for various church and community groups on topics including marriage relationships, parenting skills, stress management, etc.
INTERESTS & ACTIVITIES
- Married for 35 years with two children (30 yrs. & 26 yrs.)